Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Herbed Scallops with Couscous and Steamed Carrots

Hey, look at me!  I added a Print Friendly button to my posts so you can print out recipes with ease!  I also added an email widget so you can sign up to receive emails when I post.  If any of you like that sort of thing (as much as I do).

Now on to more important matters... food!  We made this gorgeous scallop dish a few Fridays ago with much success!  Look at that crazy nice sear down there - yum!  The secret was, of course, butter.  So from this point forth, I will most certainly be adding a smidge of butter to the oil I sear my scallops in.  In my house, we eat scallops about once a week.  We buy them in a huge bag from Costco (wild caught, of course).  A serving is really probably 3 scallops, but we up it to 4 per person since they don't have that many calories anyhow.  The recipe below is for the scallops alone, I have them pictured over a bed of Whole Wheat Couscous (cooked in chicken stock instead of water) topped with 10 steamed baby carrots (steamed in our rice cooker which came with a steam rack) and a sprinkle of the parsley that I've somehow kept alive in a pot on my patio all year round!


Herbed Scallops with Couscous (adapted from Family Circle's recipe)

4 servings
338 Calories, 14 g Fat (5 g sat, 2 g poly, 7 g mono), 78 mg Cholesterol, 311 mg Sodium, 17 g Carbs, 3 g Fiber, 35 g Protein

Ingredients
• 1/4 cup wheat flour
• 1-1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
• ½ teaspoon dried oregano
• ½ teaspoon paprika
• ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
• 8 large sea scallops (approximately 13 oz.)
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 tablespoons chopped parsley
• ½ lemon, cut into wedges

Directions
1. In a shallow dish or pie plate, mix flour, lemon pepper, oregano, paprika and thyme. Coat both sides of scallops in the flour mixture, shake off excess and set aside.

2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil and the butter over medium-high heat. Saute the scallops for about 3 minutes per side or until nicely browned and cooked through. Set scallops aside on a plate and keep warm. (when doubling this recipe, cook your scallops in 2 batches so as not to overcrowd the pan)

3. Garnish with parsley. Serve with lemon wedges, couscous, and cooked baby carrots on the side, if desired.

No comments: